Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Salts Wood

Update - June 2023

It's a delight to see the trees at Salts Wood thriving after the rainy Spring.

Update - November 2021

LUCK WAS ON OUR SIDE!

If, like me, every time you visit Salts Wood you look down the tree tubes, you will have noticed that just about every sapling planted has taken and growing into a good and healthy tree.  When I say LUCK, this is because we could have planted all the trees and been hit by a drought, but we had perfect growing weather, wet and sunny.  Some of the saplings, far more than I could have hoped for, have grown way out of the top of the tubes.  At this rate of growth in a few years’ time, we will have something that looks more like a wood and less like a field of green tubes.  I would like to thank a few of the local residents who have helped with the management by replacing broken stakes and generally kept a valuable eye on our trees.  Early in the new year we will be doing a tree inspection and tree count and replace any trees that have died.

You may have noticed three concrete bases have appeared, these are for combined general/dog waste bins which will be installed in the next few weeks.

Finally, I would like to thank the Boughton Monchelsea Scout Group who over the next few months will be making and installing some ‘Bug Houses’ and ‘Bat and Owl Boxes’, keep a look out and please let us know when you see these being inhabited.

Andy Humphryes

Parish Councillor & BMAT trustee

Update - May 2021

ONE GOOD THING FROM COVID ……… it’s got a lot more of us out walking, and if you are one of these, get along to the newly planted SALTS WOOD, off Hubbards Lane. 

If you are not aware, this used to be an arable barley field owned by Boughton Monchelsea Amenity Trust.  But this year BMAT have decided to plant their very own wood to be used by everyone, yes, you as well!

We have planted nearly 20,000 trees in 10.5 hectares, installed picnic benches and constructed a path suitable for children’s buggies and mobility scooters.  It has plenty of paths around and through the newly planted trees, so please take advantage of this for walks.  IT IS FOR YOU, ALL OF YOU.  But please respect it, take your litter home and pick up after your dog (there is a litter/dog waste bins installed by the kissing gate in Hubbards Lane. 

Let’s all enjoy Salts Wood for many years to come, long after COVID.

Update - March 2021

If you go down to the woods today you're sure of a big surprise .....

I am pleased to announce that work has started on our Salts Wood planting phase. We have started in the north section by installing support sticks for the 20,000 trees and have also begun planting tree saplings along with their protection tubes. Over the next few weeks, all planting will be completed, benches and notice boards installed and finally, construction of the hard track and entrance kissing gate.

Watch this space for further progress and if you do walk this way regularly it would be much appreciated if you could straighten any 'wonky' tree supports you come across.

We look forward to keeping you informed.

Cllr Andy Humphryes

Update - February 2021

In these uncertain times, finally a small piece of good news.

On the 25th January we received the go ahead from the Forestry Commission to start work on Salts Wood.  It has been a long and arduous journey, but all very worth while and something that everyone will be able to take advantage of and enjoy for many years to come.

We have now awarded the main contract to Sovereign Forestry to supply, plant and protect the 20,000 trees of 14 varying species, all native, ranging from oak to wild cherry.  The site work will start, weather permitting, in mid-February.  The intention is to give the existing barley growth a cut in preparation for the tree planting.  In parallel, our construction contractor will start preparing for a 2 metre wide hard surfaced track running from Hubbards Lane to Salts Avenue; suitable for buggies, wheelchairs and disability scooters.  This track will branch off to a seated picnic area and further seated picnic areas will be available throughout the wood. 

I hope everyone will support what we are planning and bear with us through the construction phase of the project. If all goes well this could be the first of many green projects planned for our parish.

Exciting times for us all, our children and our grandchildren.

Cllr Andy Humphryes

Boughton Monchelsea Parish Council Salts Wood